Tuesday 10 December 2013

Eczema: The Importance of Drinking Water

Hi guys!
 
I thought i'd come back and have another eczema post.
This time discussing eczema and drinking water.

Now we all know that water is one of the key ingredients in achieving great skin. Sometimes we can all forget how important it really is, and especially for eczema sufferers it is even more vitally important that we keep up our water intake.
.
Your skin will become dehydrated, very dull looking and even drier if you don't drink enough water. Things like alcohol, tea, coffee and caffeine drinks are not going to help you, however tempting they are. And let's be honest, nothing can quench your thirst like water can, our body craves it, you can use after exercising as a good example. I bet almost all of you would want a nice cool drink of water afterwards, am I right? :)

I have a rule of drinking water all day from the moment I get up, and as I don't drink tea or coffee and I barely drink alcohol, I'm allowed to have fizzy drinks at my evening meal till about 10pm, anytime after that it is back to water again. I've adopted this plan for the past couple of year or so, and it's really helped my skin look much more refreshed. Now I know fizzy drinks are bad for you, but it's my treat for the day so it's not too bad.

You are supposed to drink eight glasses of water a day, this is different in different countries i'm lead to believe, but in the UK it's eight. Now I know for a fact I don't drink that many, but it would be amazing if you could (or do) drink that much. Hats off to you!
 
I always get asked if I would like a tea or coffee when i'm out somewhere or at somebodys house, and I always say how I don't like it and how I drink water instead. And the other day when I said I drink a lot of water someone actually complimented me and said that must be why I have such nice skin! This compliment was a very big deal for me, and I think if any other eczema sufferer heard someone say that it would make you smile too. So I really think this whole 'just drink water 80% of the time' regime must be doing me some good!

When my eczema was pretty bad a few years ago, and I went on holiday, for the entire 10 days I was there I drunk one glass of fizzy drink and the rest of the time I drank water. It was tough, but I stuck to it to see what a difference it made, and it really helped to make my skin look less dry. It was almost like a detox, a skin detox if you will. The holiday wasn't even in a hot and sunny climate (it was Devon, which is in the South West of England if you didn't know) so it was mildly warm but not that sunny if i'm honest, so I can rule out the sun in playing a part in making my skin look better, it was the water.
 
So girls and boys if you want to help your skin along, just drink some more water. It may not be the most exciting of drinks, but it's the best thing for you. And also don't take it for granted, which I know we're all guilty of doing!
 
I will be doing a second post continuing on from this, as water is not just for drinking after all. So keep your eyes peeled for that one if you liked this post.
 
Any comments/questions please leave in the comments below.
 
Love
Amy
xxx

 
***DISCLAIMER***
All views/opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment