Saturday 14 June 2014

Avene Xeracalm Cream

 
 
If you read my review on the Avene Soothing Eye Contour Cream, you will know how much of a struggle i've been having with my eczema for the past 6 weeks or so. It actually deserves a whole post in itself now that I think about it, so I will do that soon once my skin has calmed down and I know, A.) What caused it and B.) How I fixed it.
At the moment i'm trying lots of different things, and hopefully now coming out of the other side of this flare up with products that are helping! Here's hoping. Anyway onto the review. 
 
After the success of the Avene Soothing Eye Contour Cream I finally felt like Avene had offered me the breakthrough with my eczema that I had been dreaming of, so on that thought I did a bit more research into the brand and came across this Avene Xeracalm A.D. Lipid-Replenishing Cream, which is rather new to the Avene range it seems and it is specially formulated for people with eczema. Here comes the science bit now!

This cream contains I-Modula complex which reduces itchyness and soothes redness and any irritation. Cer-Omega, a special compound which helps to repair and nourish skin while restoring the epidermal barrier against further irritations. Lastly it contains the Avene Thermal Spring water which is known to have special healing properties for the skin. So taking everything into account, I decided to purchase it.
 
I was going in blind mind you, as I have not seen a single review of this cream online anywhere! Not one! So I was a little dubious as to how good this would be, but I was willing to go for it. And on first impressions I am sad to say I did not like this cream at all. The consistancy was fine, it was reasonably thick and it doesn't have any scent which I like. But my eczema didn't like it at all. My eczema stayed red and inflammed and it stung a tiny bit. The dryness did go away which was good, but the redness was just awful! So I thought all hope was lost for this cream and put it away in my drawer of stuff, thinking that a load of money down the drain.
 
Then about a week later I decided to give it another shot, this time I used it on a small patch of eczema that is along my jawline, and the itchy, dry eczema disappeared and I was very surprised. I did this for a couple of days and had no reaction, so I was happy to try it on a larger area of eczema, namely my neck which is the big problem area.

So after a shower the other day I bravely, or stupidly you be the judge, plastered my neck in this cream after my neck was still damp from the shower. Now I say plastered, but I didn't actually use that much as a little really does go a long way. It's one of those creams that leaves your neck white the more you rub it in, unlike most that disappear like they were never there. But it all depends on how much you use, if you use a very tiny amount it is easy to rub in so you can't see it, but this wasn't the effect I was going for. I really wanted it to sit on my skin and sink in at it's own pace, almost like a mask if you will. The whiteness faded after about 15-20minutes but the moisturised feeling was still there 4 hours later, which was great. And to my utter surprise it didn't sting like the first time I applied this cream, the redness subsided a bit and the dryness went down a heck of a lot. So all being well, it's all worked out well.
 
 The packaging of the cream is good in a squeezy tube, and it is even more hygenic as it has a special patented lid that stops air and bacteria getting in and contaminating the product. Genius idea! But it does have it's down sides as it makes the product harder to squeeze out, but I can live with that. And the only other negative I have is the price. At £16.50 it is rather a lot of money, but the desperation for a solution to my eczema problem, I was willing to pay it and if it continues as well as it has done on the eczema on my neck, I would have no problem with forking out that again. And you do get 200ml of the cream so I guess it is worth it.

The only error that I made was that they make this in a balm too, which is aimed for severe dryness and I should have got that over the cream as that is more suited to my skin, but for now the cream is working fine. If this works well I will get the balm next time and try out and see the difference between them
 
My suggestion is, if you like Avene products or you have eczema and want to try something out then i'd give this a go. And remember even my eczema didn't like this at first, but it turned out well the second time around. Eczema really is a temperamental thing!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Love
Amy
xxx
 
 
 
 
 
 
***DISCLAIMER***
All views/opinions are my own, product bought myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment